Sunday, July 15, 2012

Monte Sacro

Journal entry:
All my days here are like Saturdays. No work demanding my time and attention, my day free for my choosing. I sit atop the roof balcony on a breezy, overcast day that mystifies the colors of  lake Varese before me. I sit after a late breakfast of cereal, biscuits and a banana. Reading General Conference talks, thinking about Christ and what Christ means to the Catholics I am knowing here. How he is portrayed in churches, paintings, in the Monte Sacro I visited yesterday.

Created in the 16th century to remind the people of the importance of the church and faith.  The small churches have life sized figures carved out of wood depicting the life of Christ, for the majority of people who could not read. There are two arches that begin the five agonies and five glories of His life. These events also make up the beads of the rosary. As people travel to the next church, up overgrown cobbled paths, with views of mountains, Switzerland and small villages, they can recite certain prayers.
 


The prophet Joseph Smith confirmed the Savior's central role in our doctrine in one definitive sentence: "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Aposles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it."




 

No comments:

Post a Comment