Saturday, May 26, 2012

A vacation in a vacation

I am back "home" now in Milan from a week adventure with Uncle Jack and Aunt Carol and their friends. They picked me up and we went to Cinque Terra, Tuscany- Florence, Sienna, and San Gimanggano, then on to Rome. They were driving so we got to see the beautiful countryside. My favorite was a farm house bed and breakfast with amazing views, and an early morning bike ride through grape vines and olive trees, and the hike on the mountainside going from one town to the next along the coast, and the time I spent with David...
 
Cinque Terra



Portovenere
(Michelangelo's David) that is... was so inspiring- so emotional to see it in person.  It is so huge and lifelike.  I enjoyed the views of Florence and Sienna. Walking through the forum in Rome, where I finally understood  that history- thanks to Rick Steves podcasts.  Wandering around the streets and churches in Rome, ending with a foot massage from Massimo :-/ a complete stranger who told me he was a podiatrist.  Don't know what his intentions were but it felt too good, I was like putty in his hands.  I enjoyed the Vatican- Sistine Chapel and St. Peters but there were so many people and I ran out of gas in the over stimulation of Rome - the comatoseness of West Nile came back. So I decided to skip Naples and come home early.  I loved being able to see more of Italy I really wanted to see and loved the companionship.  And, I still have 2 months left to explore! 
 bike ride
Colosseum
Sienna
I am just waiting any day now for that new nephew of mine...best wishes to Teri and Mike for the exciting adventure to come. 

1 comment:

  1. Now I am really envious. You virtually repeated our 2010 Italy tour but looks like you had better weather.

    ReplyDelete